Monday, November 22, 2010

30 Day Blogging Challenge | Day 3 | Meet My Better Half



I realize I'm already a couple days behind on the blogging challenge; on a side note, I was in recovery mode Sunday from too much adult birthday celebrating, which thanks to my husband I was able to veg on the couch while he  got up at 6 am and attended to both of our kids while I laid in bed and on the couch for most of the day with a vicious hangover. Love. Him. For. That.


To introduce you to my husband, I'll stick with the same format as I did for myself (a photo and 10 facts).


Fact #1: If my friend Emily Powell had never had class at Auburn with Joey, we probably would have never met at Buffalos to celebrate her graduation from Auburn. (Although she did attempt to hook him up with another one of my sorority sisters. Thankfully, her first matchmaking attempt didn't work out! )


Fact #2: We rubbed each other the wrong way the first night we met. A second favorite story that Joey loves to tell about me is the first night we met. I met my future husband at a bar in Auburn, he came out for Emily's graduation party and we pretty much did a bar crawl that night. At the second bar we went to we ended up next to each other waiting to order a drink. I get my snazzy SouthTrust check card out of my sorority wallet and I look over to see Joey writing a check, so I ask in a snotty sorority tone, "are you starting a tab with a check?" to which he replied "yeah, you gotta problem with that?"; But it all changed when he came over later that night and asked me to dance.


Fact #3: He didn't follow the "3-day rule" - he called me the next day! 


Fact #4: He surprised me with a proposal (a year and 4 months later) at my house on Christmas day. We were married on June 5, 2004 in Auburn, AL. 


Fact #5: Joey makes prize-winning Chilli. His chilli recipe won first place a few years ago during the Enterprise- Rent-A-Car chilli cookoff. It's really the best. And he won't even tell me the recipe. That's really the only secret we have from one another.


Fact #6: Joey is a great dad! My kids absolutely adore him except when he's dishing out a spanking or a time out. One of my favorite things to listen in on is when does bed time stories with our daughter at night. He doesn't read, he adlibs a bedtime story about Princess Kate and her friends and she totally loves it. (Brendyn loves to rough house with daddy but is still very much a mama's boy -- I guess that's the way it should be)


Fact #7: My husband is a great cook. If you've read my fact's you'll know that back when we moved into our new house, and he got his new Big Steel Keg, I gave up my cooking duties. But he's much better at it than I am. I'm very much a by the book, follow the recipe type of cooker, and I'm jealous that Joey can create marinades or rubs without any direction, he just instinctively knows what something should taste like.  We usually like everything he makes - the only exception is his Shepard's Pie. We occassionaly tease  Kate that we're having it for dinner and she cries. Ha!


Fact #7: He's a romantic. One of my favorite anniversary celebrations is on our fourth anniversary, he surprised me with a champagne toast and brought the champagne glasses we used the day we got married to  one of our favorite restaurants, Aqua Blue in Roswell, GA. He also did a gift bag filled with my favorite things. Still one of my favorite anniversaries to date.


Fact #8: He's afraid of heights. In college, Joey worked for the fire department while he was in school and he almost didn't graduate from the fire academy because they had to repel down the side of Jordan-Hare stadium and he said he couldn't do it. 


Fact #9: He's thoughtful. While I was still living in Auburn, my mom and I were going to come up to Atlanta to go dress shopping and spend the night at his apartment, and he freaked out because there weren't enough places for people to sleep and we said that we could camp out on an air mattress and that night he went to Home Depot and bought wood to make a "daybed" for my mom to sleep on. The not-so-finished project looked more like a karoke stage. We still tease him till this day -- he claims it could have been a lot better if he only had the right tools.


Fact #10: We make a really great team! 
"When the sun shines, we'll shine together; Told you I'll be here forever;Said I'll always be a friend; Took an oath, I'll stick it out till the end...Know that we'll still have each other; You can stand under my umbrella; You can stand under my umbrella"

2 comments:

Emily said...

You're welcome! ;) You and Joey are one of my favorite couples!!!

The Dufour Family said...

We feel the same way about you and Alex! :)