Wednesday, November 24, 2010

30 Day Blog Challenge: Post #4 - Meet the Parents





Meet Greg and Linda. The picture perfect retirees who are currently living in one of the largest retirement communities near Hilton Head, SC --  Sun City to be exact. 


At 30, I am completely envious of their lifestyle. My dad retired from GM almost 6 years ago. My mom has been retired since the day I was born. So she's definitely used to retirement. Both my brother and I are grown, out of college, married and one soon-to-be married (see my next post) so their only real responsibility is their spoiled springer spaniel, the beloved Cooper Boy. 


So when you can wake up and practically do whatever you want, and don't have to abide by any  real schedule or itinerary -- what exactly does one do with all that free time - both of my parents have become avid readers. I love to read, but they finish more books in a month than I could attempt to read in one calendar year. They love to play golf, cards, canasta, shuffle board and they are very social and attend functions regularly on their street, they go to the movies or concerts. ALl the things I would love to do only if there were more hours in the day.


They are very involved with their church. Both of them currently serve as Stephen Ministers.


My mom is also a top "Crumb". She's very involved with "Treat the Troops." Here's a couple of links from some of her recent publicity opportunties.

Pink Magazine
http://itsallpink.com/stories/601-46

Bluffton Today: http://www.blufftontoday.com/news/2010-11-18/%E2%80%98treat-troops%E2%80%99-sends-homemade-love



Each month, my mom organizes her street to bake 300 dozen cookies that they in turn send to US soliders and military serving our country abroad in Afghanistan and Iraq. It's a huge operation, but she really enjoys it. You can read more about The Cookie Lady and Treat the troops here -


Lastly, my parents are very outgoing -- my mom especially. As the former president of the Montgomery, AL Newcomers Club, my mom doesn't know a stranger. She will introduce herself to anyone. Best example: My mom and dad joined us on our recent vacation in Disney World. My friend Amanda who coordinated our trip sent us all lanyards and pins so we could participate in pin trading. One of the things my mom quickly learned is that if you saw a cast member with a pin, they couldn't refuse to trade with you, so she would go up to practically everyone introduce her self, engage in brief small talk and snag their best pin. She was so good, she even got Kate in on the action. Kate didn't even trade she would just point to the one she wanted and they would put it on her lanyard. 

Next up -- My brother Matt.

2 comments:

Emily said...

Your parents rock...this was a cute post.

The Dufour Family said...

Thanks! I had fun writing this one and the one about my brother. :)