Wednesday, July 29, 2009

My first day flying solo with two kids

On Monday, I started my full time venture as a mom with two children. I was a little nervous because both children have started a trend of needing something at the same time and I was spoiled over the last couple of weeks being able to help one and hand off the other to my husband or to my mom. The honeymoon is definitely over.



Day one actually went pretty well, I realized that in order to save time I need to make all of my bottles a head of time and keep the bag packed so I don't have to fool with it before we go anywhere.



We enjoyed a nice morning at the park, came home for lunch and nap time - everyone slept. Then I became too comfortable and too confident too soon ---I took both Kate and Brendyn to Target to get some groceries and toiletries and they were both well behaved. We came home and I took both kids upstairs and told Kate to watch Brendyn while I ran down to the car to bring up the 5 bags.



Here's where it all fell to pieces...


Sometime when I went downstairs, Kate locked both deadbolts on the front door of our apartment. I was gone not even two minutes and when I came back up and turned the handle I realized the door was locked. Thankfully I had my car keys so I put my house key in the door and unlocked it and went to push it open and and couldn't get in --I freaked. It was after 6 pm, Joey was on the way home and I had no idea how I was going to get inside to get to my two children. Brendyn was inside still strappped into his carseat and Kate was roaming freely inside the apartment. I stood outside the door screaming her name trying to get her to come to the door. Finally, I hear her on the other side of the door and I repeatedly asked her to open the door and she kept saying "Just a second". After seven minutes, she finally opened the door. She got her Tinkerbell chair and moved it to the door and unlocked the interior deadbolt.

Lesson learned: Don' t underestimate the intelligence of a three-year-old. Just when you think they can't you learn they can!

No comments: