Sunday, July 19, 2009

A Chipped Tooth

On Saturday, Kate attends dance class at the East Roswell Recreation Center. Yesterday, Joey's mom and sister (aka "JoJo and Sheesha") came with us to watch Kate's dance class. Joey and Alicia were busy in the gym shooting baskets while JoJo and I watched class and after her class was over we went in the gym to find them. Kate got busy on the court dribbiling the basketball, and while she was running around in her flip flops she fell and chipped the inside left corner of her top right tooth.

I was holding Brendyn and watching her and at the time I didn't think it was any big deal until Joey started shouting my name; I took off running and when I got over to them he told me that she had bit her lip and chipped her tooth. We were not able to retrieve the piece that fell off. Joey is pretty sure she may have swallowed it. Of course panic set in as Kate was set to leave Sunday to go to Mississippi for the week and I was trying so hard to find a dentist in Atlanta that was open on Saturday to fix the tooth. It didn't happen.

And there is NOTHING worse than the "I'm a total failure as a parent" feeling of not being able to get help for your child when something like this happens. It was killing me yesterday as I dialed dental office after dental office and I tried my best to shake it off realizing there is nothing I can do until someone calls me back on Monday.

We are fortunate that Kate is not in any terrible pain.

I should share that I had a similar incident when I was Kate's age, I chipped my tooth on the coffee table in the living room while wrestling with my little brother. Yesterday, my mom reminded me that I used to refer to it as "my dirty tooth" and how I wouldn't smile in pictures because the tooth discolored. I have to say yesterday's tooth incident brought back a lot of insecurities that I tried hard not to project onto Kate. So since the incident, I have put away her Ariel flip flops and slapped her tennis shoes on her feet. :)

2 comments:

Emily said...

Awe, poor Kate. I can relate to how your feeling too...I chipped a tooth as a child was pretty insecure about it too. I'm terrified about the same thing happening to J, M, or C. I'm glad she's not in a lot of pain. Will her trip have to be postponed?

The Dufour Family said...

No, we didn't postpone her trip. Pediatric Dentist won't be able to see her until a week from Tuesday; that was the earliest we could get her in -- granted we'll be a new patient plus we have a chipped tooth -- nothing speedy about dentists.