Saturday, June 13, 2009

Kate's First Dance Class

This morning I took Kate for her first dance class at East Roswell Recreation Center. I was so proud of myself -- I had the camera and video camera to document the occassion, and when it was time for class to start the teacher told me that parents weren't allowed to stay. I was crushed, but then as more parents started dropping off some younger students I saw why... there were a few who cried for the first 5-10 minutes for mom or dad and Ms. Carrie had the dual task of comforting and teaching.

Kate was so excited when I dropped her in the room. Once she took her shoes off, she made an instant friend with the studio mirror. She would watch herself twirl around, raise her arms up, jump up in the air and otherwise just smile silly at herself. It was pretty funny to watch through the classroom door window. And, to make it even better, one of Kate's friends from her school was in her dance class which was a nice surprise. I think Ms. Carrie had a little trouble today trying to get Kate and Lilly under control. Both girls liked running back and forth across the room and catching a glimpse of themselves in the mirror.

I did manage to catch a peek at the last five minutes of class and I saw Kate get up on the platform, face the mirror and place her hands on top of her head and do two plie's -- for which she earned two hand stamps. She had the best time today and I'm so happy!

No comments: